Breezy final: Smooth upgrade

Brant Fitzsimmons brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
Tue Oct 18 16:16:38 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 11:32 am, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Am Montag 17 Oktober 2005 21:27 schrieb Christoph Wiesen:
> > Hello,
> >
> > just wanted to tell you that the upgrade from hoary to breezy went
> > absolutely smooth for me. This is really great. I downloaded all the
> > packages first (dist-upgrade -d and install kubuntu-desktop -d) so the
> > actual upgrading process took less than half an hour - haven't had such a
> > good experience before. Debian Sid comes to mind though since basically
> > every dist-upgrade there get's you a new distribution in a way.
> >
> > All in all I can really recommend the upgrade when you look at the way it
> > works. Ifthe actual packages and changes are worth the upgrade everyone
> > has to decide for themself though I guess.
> >
> > Some settings still seem illogical to me, but i explained that in more
> > than enough dept in my annoying RC feedback mails (like window borders on
> > maximized windows...)
> >
> > What really should be fixed is having the "Google Search Bar" on every
> > (File-managing) Konqueror - this is rather silly ;)
> >
> > I'm off fixing these for me personally for now.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Christoph Wiesen
>
> Ok, this is not nice, but I really have to add this to my comment;
>
> Now that I actually use the simplified Konqueror profile for real work I
> have to say it really isn't the good ol' Konqueror I loved anymore.
> I'm doing simple stuff with some php files over ftp and partly locally, but
> i could neither have the local and the remote view in one konqueror window
> side-by-side, nor could I search for files (or their content) inside the
> current directory, like a non-crippled Konqueror can from the tools menu
> (and this is the reason I HAVE to write this to the list...).
>
> Maybe there are some keyboard shortcuts for these - I will ahve to look
> them up - not the achievement I'd hoped for from an 'easy to use'
> distribution.
>
> Regards,

You can Configure the toolbars to get those buttons back.  I was really
missing those options as well.  Just added them back and all is well.  I'm
not sure why they were removed.  They are one of the things that really sets
Konqueror apart from any other major file manager.  It's very nice being able
to split the window in 10 different ways if you want.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant at bfcomputerconsulting.com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
							-Plato