Some remarks about Kubuntu 5.10

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue Oct 18 14:12:47 UTC 2005

R.P.M.Koendering wrote:

>I personally do not like the new package/update system and I use Synaptic.

I am still using hoary and prefer synaptic for finding packages (apt-get
is much faster and more efficient for update/upgrades and installing and
removing packages whose names I know.  On hoary, its synaptic over
kynaptic, but I understand that breezy includes a new KDE package manager.

>Also there is a ugly gray screen when starting before the Kubutu blue appears.
>Other distro's do not have this gray screen.

The gray screen is X, prior to loading the window manager.  I have seen
it on most distros.  Somehow gdm (as opposed to kdm) masks it with
brown.  It only lasts a few seconds on my not-so-fast system.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c