OpenOffice Substitutes

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Oct 17 15:36:37 UTC 2005

Merv Curley wrote:

> On Saturday 15 October 2005 15:53, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> > It is more convenient if all your files are standard format and
>> > when Koffice can write Open Document like OpenOffice2, all will
>> > be dandy.
>>
>> It won't be dandy until MS decides to support Open Document.
>
> Only if you have to pass data to Windows users,  a situation I am not
> in.

Never?  That's a little hard to believe.  Most of us _must_ deal with
Windows occasionally, and that means we don't have a useful open document
format until MS supports Open Document.

> However Microsoft are going to allow Office users to save files
> in pdf format so Step 1 has been reached.

No, because pdf is a lousy format for data interchange.  It's fine for final
printing, but it's a real pain (_especially_ for Windows users) to edit and
amend the pdf.

> If more States act like Mass. then the process will happen quicker of
> course.

Yes.
--
derek