Getting upset about a Dual-Boot Mac-Mini; AGAIN

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Sat Oct 15 10:19:10 UTC 2005

I am a small-scale developer who needs a portable
demonstration system - and to this end
would like my mac-mini to function as a dual-boot machine
with Ubuntu and Mac OS 10.4.

I did not get very far in this respect with the beta
version . . .

Now I'm "having a go" with the Ubuntu 5.10 Breezy Badger
PPC ISO:

1. I partitioned my mac-mini 40 GB disk into 2 equal-sized
sections and installed
Ubuntu 5.10 final onto the section partition: installation
was just as smooth as
any other UB/KUB install: BUT . . . the machine would not
boot from the 2nd partition:

1.1 rebooted automatically at end of UB install - nothing.

1.2. rebooted via power button and held down ALT button:
showed a viable UB partition;
on boot started and then shutdown monitor.

2. Repartitioned (using the Mac OS 10.4 install DVD) and
installed Mac OS 10.4
onto the 2nd partition - will now try to install Ubuntu
5.10 onto the 1st partition:

The result was exactly the same as 1.

OH, POO!

Richmond Mathewson