Scary upgrade thing

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Oct 14 14:31:42 UTC 2005

Simon Rönnqvist wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2005, at 15:36, Derek Broughton wrote:
>
>> Pawel Kowalak wrote:
>>>
>>> Always do apt-get dist-upgrade.
>>
>> I'd disagree slightly - I think he was right to try "upgrade" first -
>> because it won't do anything scary.  In this case, though, it
>> wouldn't do
>> anything at all (probably because there's a libc transition in there).
>>
>> After upgrade, dist-upgrade.  There's certainly no way you can just
>> randomly
>> install a single package and expect everything to work.
>>
> So what you are suggesting is to not touch dist-upgrade in case it's
> suggesting these kind of radical things (as shown in my last mail)?

Absolutely not!  You're trying to upgrade from Hoary to Breezy - of _course_
it's going to make a lot of changes.  However, whenever there's this much
happening I do "upgrade" first, followed by "dist-upgrade".  Upgrade will
never add or remove anything, it only upgrades currently installed
packages.  So what happens when you're doing regular updates of the testing
stage (breezy until this week, dapper soon) is that "upgrade" usually
installs a lot of stuff, making the "dist-upgrade" step much less
frightening.

> Instead I should just wait and see if I can get this fixed later on
> just using upgrade, right?

No, it can't possibly happen.

Meanwhile, you say you had trouble finding information about the upgrade
process - I've seen at least three posts on this group telling you where to
find it.
--
derek