newbie

David A' Rebel obsidion at xtra.co.nz
Thu Oct 6 08:08:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:16, tony m wrote:
> I am a NEW, and cant emphasize that enought NEW Kubuntu User. I have been a
> Windows person my whole life, know Macs a bit but no clue on Linux. I need
> articles that will literally walk me step by step on how to install,
> config, and get aquainted with Linux. I have installed Kubuntu 5.0.4 but
> can not even get pass the command line :( I installed Server
> Edition/package.
>
> thank you

 A server version is just that a server. It has the daemons for smtp, pop etc
but usually doesn't have any sort of gui and is used from the command line.
This sort of install is designed to be between other boxes and the internet.
If you want a gui then you needed to select something like home user or
however your distro worded it. You could try apt-get install kde and see what
happens or if you don't want to try that route, reinstall and choose another
version rather than server.