Compiling your own Applications from Source.

golfer golfbuf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 03:17:51 UTC 2005

On 11/19/05, Martin J Hooper <martinjh at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Holger Rumland wrote:
> > a) what packages are required ?
>
> > c) do you need to set the QT3 path so that the files are found in Kubuntu ?
>
> You need to install the following packages:
>
> x-dev
> libxext-dev
> kdebase-dev
> build-essential - Compilers, make, autoconf etc
> libice-dev
>
> This will install all the package development files and compilers.
>
> > b) is there some parameter required with ./config like (./config --suffix) ?
>
> ./configure
> ./make
> sudo ./make install
>
> If you are compiling KDE styles you will have to do ./configure
> --prefix=/usr
>
> You Don't need to set the QT3 path in anything I have compiled so far.

I also find that 'dh-make' and 'fakeroot' are useful to build actual
debian packages from a source.  For example, for kmodemlights, after
untarring, cd into the source directory and issue the command 'dh_make
-s' and answer ok to the questions.  Then, issue the command 'fakeroot
debian/rules binary' from the same source directory .. it will build
it and create a kmodemlights_0.7-1_i386.deb, which can be installed
with 'dpkg -i kmodemlights_0.7-1_i386.deb'.

If your build fails, and the error message complains about a missing
library or command, try using 'apt-cache search <missing word>' to try
to figure out which package you need to install.

regards,