File ownership errors

tudza tudza at tudza.com
Thu Nov 17 10:03:39 UTC 2005

Ah splendid, that does the trick well, sudo did the trick badly as you can see.

Now that I see this, I remember seeing mention of it in some other forum.  I wasn't running Kubuntu at the time, so it didn't stick in my memory.  Thanks for the help.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 22:23, tudza wrote:

>> Now I notice that I'm getting this sort of thing when I use a sudo
>> command.  It may be just a coincidence that I see it after trying to get
>> file sharing working and trying to get swat working.
>>
>> Do I need to do anything about this?
>>
>> tudza at sae:~$ sudo konqueror

Try this instead:
$ kdesu konqueror

The KDE "su" program handles all these permissions issues for you  :)

The errors you are seeing have nothing to do with Samba, but everything to
do with the fact you're running a user session of KDE and trying to spaw a
konqueror instance as a different user.  Use "kdesu" for X-based (KDE) apps
from the command line that require elevated privileges.

HTH,

James