Upgrade changes config & no USB stick any more

Adrian Hicks Adrian.H at auston.edu.sg
Thu May 5 04:27:58 UTC 2005

Hi list.

This is re. a previous post; see below.

I've done a reinstall & some testing, & have narrowed the lack of USB stick
mounting to 2 files (hopefully this is all).

Did the following:

* Installed kubuntu hoary from scratch, with an Internet connection
   in place
* Did apt-get upgrade & checked the list of packages (10 in all) but
   did not allow the upgrade
* Chose a likely candidate to test (kdelibs-bin) & installed it along
   with its dependency (kdelibs4).
* Noted that it suggested the perl-suid package

After installing the two files (kdelibs-bin & kdelibs4) the following has
changed:

* On login I had to do the basic KDE config that all new users get
* The panel changed; no more drawer with home etc.
* Desktop colours changed
* No links anywhere in the menus for Konqueror file manager
* Inserting a USB stick no longer does anything, ie. doesn't mount
  and doesn't put an icon on the desktop
* Logout screen changed (no more icons on the buttons)

I then installed kdelibs-data (which had a problem because it contains a
file that is in another package).  This didn't help the problem.

And installed the recommended perl-suid package.  Also nothing fixed.

Noted that Admin mode in Control Center is still working.  It wasn't
working after installing a load of stuff from Universe (see previous post
below).

Do kubuntu developers read this list?  If so here's a complaint.  Never in
all the time I've used it has an upgrade on Debian changed any part of my
desktop configuration.  What's happening with kubuntu that these changes
happen?

Adrian Hicks