Newbie problem: instal disk not working

Peter Barnes pjb at operamail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:51:33 UTC 2005

Hello, I'm new to Linux although I have managed to instal Mandrake and Fedora on a 2.8GHx, 512MB, 80GB hard disk. I am trying out distros and had avoided Ubuntu because I would prefer to use KDE for my desktop, and Debian because it sounds too complicated. Then I saw the Kubuntu web site and thought I should try that.

I downloaded the i386 iso instal file, checked the MD5sum (OK), burned it to a disk, checked the MD5 again (OK) then set about installing - but nothing! My PC won't recognise the CD. Yet I can still use my Mandrake instal CD and Fedora instal DVD and a Knoppix Live CD in the drive (a Lite-On DVD-RW drive).

Can anyone offer a solution to this problem other than downloading and doing it all again? (But if the MD5 sums were OK, will it be any different anyway after another download?)

I know the file is a preview - perhaps it is not meant for newbies! Should I be waiting for the main file?
Thanks,
Peter
From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.