[kubuntu-users] KOffice 1.4 - Kubuntu Packages available

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Tue Jun 21 21:10:11 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 21:34, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 09:05:44PM +0200, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> > http://www.kubuntu.org/hoary-koffice-14.php

> The question is whether KOffice 1.4 is good enough for breezy.  Some
> parts will probably get in such as Krita since it has no equivalent
> but should the rest replace OpenOffice?

Not yet, I'm afraid.

I just opened a couple of random documents, from myself (mostly
openoffice documents), some .doc's and .ppt's. Although there I saw big
improvements over the older release, 1.3.5 it had all kinds of
problems:

- Opening 2 page .doc would eventually have kword (== all other koffice
  parts) killed due to an increasing number of pages at a high rate.
- Background images on all .ppt's I've tried to open got lost.
- Some text got lost on a lot of .ppt's.
- Layout information (font face) got lost in some cases when opening
  a .swx

I could probably find more of these, but for me it's enough to prefer
OpenOffice above koffice for my daily work. Koffice didn't open 1/3 of
the random documents I've tried correctly. (Note that I'd really like
koffice to be able to replace sluggish Openoffice for me, but at this
point it's just not good enough :-().

> KOffice is faster and more integrated, plus it compiles on amd64 but
> will Kubuntu be considered a serious distribution without OpenOffice?

Agree on the faster and integrated bits, amd64 support is being worked
on at the moment and should be fixed by the time OOo2 comes out (or
should we say "OOo2 comes out when they get it to compile on
amd64"? :-)). Also the extra java "dependency" (= strong advise)
doesn't make OOo any more attractive.

> All opinions welcome.

Cheers (and great work, still, koffice devels!),

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Do you know the difference between education and experience?  Education