[kubuntu-users] KOffice 1.4 - Kubuntu Packages available

Sander van Loon svloon at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 21 20:47:24 UTC 2005

I've tried the KOffice 1.4 RC's and now the final, but I haven't had any
serious experiences with using it. I have used OpenOffice a lot though.
OpenOffice is good and more mature than KOffice. But KOffice is a lot better
integrated into KDE, has a more attractive interface, starts up nearly
instantly (at least 10 times faster than OO) and has other advantages.

It's a difficult choice though. Both are good, but OO 2.0 will be more mature
and more popular. So maybe the Kubuntu team had better wait and stick with OO
for breezy, and wait for the next KOffice release before Kubuntu starts using
KOffice as the default? I don't think I'm qualified to make this choice
though, because I haven't got much experience with KOffice 1.4 yet. My main
concern is a good function for exporting to MS Office file formats, I'm a
student and most of my classmates only know Windows :( . So which Office
suite has the best MS Office compatibility would win for me.

The best solution would be the implemention of a package selection feature
during the installation of Kubuntu, so people could choose whether they want
KOffice or OO. But I don't know if that fits in the Kubuntu philosophy.