Aliasing rm to rm -i for sudo

R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar udyoga at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 20 08:16:01 UTC 2005

Dear Folks,

I have aliases for rm to be rm -i in the .bashrc files for an ordinary
user as well as for root so:

alias rm='rm --interactive'

When I do rm <filename> as an ordinary user, I am asked to confirm deletion.

Likeweise, after sudo -s -H, when I do rm <filename> I am asked to
confirm deletion.

However, if I do sudo rm <filename> deletion proceeds without
interactive confirmation.

How may I alias rm to rm -i for sudo?

Thank you.

--Chandra
Dr R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar
Adjunct Senior Lecturer
M018, Centre for Intelligent Information Processing Systems (CIIPS)
School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA 6009, AUSTRALIA
Phone: +61-(8)-6488-1905  Fax: +61-(8)-6488-1168
email: chandra at ee.uwa.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Code: 00126G