Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions

Peter Barnes pjb at operamail.com
Fri Jun 17 20:01:08 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: malandante <malandante at gmail.com>
To: "Peter Barnes" <pjb at operamail.com>,
kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:31:23 +0200

> > Thanks for the (part) answer.
> > I agree with your comments about learning, and know how
> > access the man pages on a Linux PC - but where do I
find
> > them on the Web when working from a Windows PC? Like
many
> > other people, I am having to learn about Linux while
> > running a business and working in Windows. I often have
no
> > access to my Linux PC but still need to learn about
Linux.

> > Peter
> >
> I realized later that I hadn't answered all the
questions. You don't
> have to delete anything in sources.list, just adding a
new source with
> newer packages makes apt override the old ones. And when
you command
> apt-get upgrade/dist-upgrade, apt looks for what's
upgradeable and
> upgrades it all. Since what you have added in
sources.list is a kde
> only repository, you don't have to worry about other
things getting
> upgraded unless you had not upgraded your system
previously.

> Man pages online can be found in several sites which you
can easily
> find googling linux man pages online. Consider that being
apt-get a
> debian specific tool, you may not find its man page in
every man pages
> online site you look for.

I copied and pasted the line
deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu
hoary-updates main
into the etc/apt/sources.list file at the end. Then did
apt-get update which ended with:
Fetched 123kB in 2s (50.0kB/s)
Failed to fetch
http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu/dists/hoary-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
302 Found
Reading package lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been
ignored, or old ones used instead.

The did apt-get upgrade and went through getting packafges
and ended with:
Fetched 109MB in 30m27s (59.6kB/s)
but then got lots of the following:
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
Extracting templates from packages: 2%W: Couldn't stat
source package list http://download.kde.org
hoary-updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
etc etc.....

Then a lot of "preparing" and "unpacking" and ending with:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/kdelibs-data_4%3a3.4.0-0ubuntu3.2_all.deb
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these
problems

Failed to fetch
http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu/dists/hoary-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz
302 Found
Reading package lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: Couldn't stat source package list
http://download.kde.org hoary-updates/main Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/download.kde.org_stable_3.4.1_kubuntu_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these
problems
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been
ignored, or old ones used instead.

I presume this is trying to tell me I'm doing something
wrong and it has failed to instal KDE 3.4.1?

Peter