Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions

Peter Barnes pjb at operamail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:58:53 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: malandante <malandante at gmail.com>
To: "Peter Barnes" <pjb at operamail.com>,
kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:15:04 +0200

> 2005/6/15, Peter Barnes <pjb at operamail.com>:
> > After being away from Kubuntu for a few weeks I came
back and saw the advice:
> > KDE 3.4.1 packages are available for hoary from this
deb source
> > (edit /etc/apt/sources.list)
> > deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu
hoary-updates main

> > As someone who knows little about Linux, let alone
Kubuntu, can
> > you tell me exactly what I should do? I know how to add
a line to
> > the sources.list file but do I add only this line, and
do I
> > delete anything already there?
> >
> > And then having added the line, what comes next to get
KDE 3.4.1?
> > Is it simply apt-get upgrade (update?), or do I need a
specific
> > file name?
> >
> > (Related to this, I looked at the excellent KUDOS
Unofficial
> > Kubuntu FAQ and saw the recommended general changes to
the
> > sources.list file - should I be doing this first?)
> >
> > Sorry for so many questions at once!
> > Peter
> >
> > --
> >
> sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade
>
> will do the work
>
> Why apt-get update? because you've got to refresh the
package cache to
> let apt-get know what is new in order to
upgrade/dist-upgrade it.

> As people usually tell to newbies, do a
>
> man apt-get
>
> and you will find the answer to it
>

> recomendation: always
>
> man whatever
>
> before asking, not to avoid bothering people (you will
see that
> there's always someone who doesn't like newbies
questions), but
> because it's the best way to learn.
>
> Greetings
>
> malandante

Thanks for the (part) answer.
I agree with your comments about learning, and know how to
access the man pages on a Linux PC - but where do I find
them on the Web when working from a Windows PC? Like many
other people, I am having to learn about Linux while
running a business and working in Windows. I often have no
access to my Linux PC but still need to learn about Linux.

Peter