Getting KDE 3.4.1 - a few questions

malandante malandante at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 20:15:04 UTC 2005

2005/6/15, Peter Barnes <pjb at operamail.com>:
> After being away from Kubuntu for a few weeks I came back and saw the advice:
> KDE 3.4.1 packages are available for hoary from this deb source (edit /etc/apt/sources.list)
> deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.4.1/kubuntu hoary-updates main
>
> As someone who knows little about Linux, let alone Kubuntu, can you tell me exactly what I should do? I know how to add a line to the sources.list file but do I add only this line, and do I delete anything already there?
>
> And then having added the line, what comes next to get KDE 3.4.1? Is it simply apt-get upgrade (update?), or do I need a specific file name?
>
> (Related to this, I looked at the excellent KUDOS Unofficial Kubuntu FAQ and saw the recommended general changes to the sources.list file - should I be doing this first?)
>
> Sorry for so many questions at once!
> Peter

sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade

will do the work

Why apt-get update? because you've got to refresh the package cache to
let apt-get know what is new in order to upgrade/dist-upgrade it.

As people usually tell to newbies, do a

man apt-get

and you will find the answer to it

recomendation: always

man whatever

before asking, not to avoid bothering people (you will see that
there's always someone who doesn't like newbies questions), but
because it's the best way to learn.

Greetings

malandante