Goodbye

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Tue Jun 14 15:43:37 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 14 June 2005 14:11, David Mackie wrote:
> 	I'm sad to read Edward's farewell to Linux. I too migrated from
> Windows. Using Linux, I have had to learn more about computing in
> general, and about paying attention to small details. I've had to
> accept how little I know, how much more there is to learn. But ....

Probably unrelated, but what comes to my mind is that a lot of users
coming from Windows have to be re-educated with respect to reading
error messages. I see lots of people who seem to have developed a
reflex to click away error messages as fast as possible. While that
might be a good strategy on Windows, these people should consider
actually reading errormessages since they in most cases tell what's
wrong. That seems to be quite bad about Windows - useless errors.

So my advice of the day for newly converted users: Read the error
messages rather than trying to get rid of them as fast as possible.
They might aswell tell what's wrong and what you can do about it.

Cheers,

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,