Goodbye

Efwkub at aol.com Efwkub at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 23:07:12 UTC 2005

Dear Linux enthusiasts in general and Kubuntu people in particular, thank you
for the assistance I have received on this list.

With regret I have decided that I do not have enough time to use Linux.
Unfortunately I have had too many problems, bugs, inconsistencies, etc. etc. First
with SUSE (as earlier noted I gave up using their support as it was going
nowhere, slowly). Now with Kubuntu.

The number of problems I have had has been overwhelming, even though I have
only started to look at Kubuntu, i.e. there are a great many things I have not
looked at or tried yet.

If I thus extrapolate the number of problems I would have to expect and the
time needed to research then try to implement possible solutions, and the
expected rate of failure and success therein, should I try to get a full range of
functions to work at all, let alone reliably, I see that a totally unrealistic
input would be required on my part, for what would remain an uncertain result.

I accept that Linux software works for some people, whether because they are
lucky or they are experts, or they pay others who are experts. I have had to
accept that unless I somehow achieved "advanced guru" level I would never be
able to count on having a system that worked. And that unless I thoroughly
checked, tested and modifed any Linux installation I had (on every material change)
I would always be worrying about it, never able to rely on it.

May I thus respectfully ask that, enthusiastic as you are, you moderate your
claims so as to reduce the chances of misleading people. I came to Linux after
years of Windows (which, dire as it is, and much as I hate the way MS have
treated everyone, looks less bad now). I knew a lot of the words and concepts,
and I didn't expect an easy time. I expected to have to read a lot, and I did.

I also had the benefit of a working internet connection. Please consider what
someone new to computers would do having bought a PC expecting to use Linux,
alone in a room, and thus without the ability to access Google, or your
helpful forums and lists etc.

Just by way of illustration, I am not asking for assistance because I am not
going to proceed any further, the problems below happened to me in one
relatively short session earlier today. They might get a few of these or others that
I have mentioned. Repeat - please don't trouble to advise me on the issues.

I am very disappointed because I like the open source approach, I do respect
what has been achieved, I can see that Linux is done logically, so that it
should be possible to make it work, I wanted to get into Linux. And I have had
any amount of hassle with Windows (and e.g. Norton AntiVirus) over the years. So
much so that I will return to typewriter and fax rather than go to XP. The
98SE machines I have do act up when pushed but they are a bit overloaded, most
of the time they are fast, easy to use, highly productive. And when they fail
they can be re-booted and then work again.

I therefore wish you all the best but ask that you think more carefully about
what you say about Linux.

Thanks, Edward

******
Kuser, try to create a new user "mpd". Am told (something like) "cannot
create home directory for mpd it is null or invalid"
Not sure how something that hasn't been created can be invalid, but try to
enter
/home/mpd myself, get message "Kuser crashed caused signal 11 SIGSERV"

Decide to try to create a folder myself for mpd, using Konsole
Open Konsole then, to get power to set permissions:

efw at HP3:~$ sudo konsole
Password:

I get the message:
"Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-efw" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
Link points to "/var/tmp/kdecache-root" "

Switch to Kuser and see that it has given mpd the UID of 0, along with root
So change this to 1001 (efw – myself – being 1000)

Give up on that for now

Open KPPP, (as usual) get
"/etc/resolv.conf is missing or can't be read!
Ask your system administrator to create this file (can be empty) with
appropriate read and write permissions."

Open KSysGuard, (as usual) get
"Error – KDE System Guard   Connection to localhost has been lost."

Control Center, System Administration, Login Manager. Click on Administrator
Mode
Enter password, get "Welcome to the KDE Control Center" a central place..."
(Previously I was getting a right pane showing the "System Administration"
sub-items.)

Leave the PC for about 30 seconds, return to find that Konqueror and OOo's
Writer have crashed leaving SIGSERV messages.
(Konqueror and Writer are what I would need to use most! Writer often failed,
usually quickly, under SUSE. Hardly tried it under Kubuntu)