Switch user & sound

Mike Benson mike at kambe.com.au
Mon Jun 6 20:25:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 03:12 am,  ian <ian at eugeneweb.com> wrote:
> As far as I know, its strictly one sound server per device.  I think the
> problem is you need is for the second session to use the same sound
> server as the first one.

Yes, when artsd starts up, it locks the sound device in such a way that no
other process can open it. Even on sound devices (like ALSA) that support
multiple clients. That's annoying if not all your client programs are kde,
and want to talk to the sound hardware in other ways :-(

artsd is capable of muxing multiple clients (including over a network), what
the switch user process needs to do is connect the new user to the existing
artsd, instead of starting a new one....

Mike