KDE 3.4.1 packages

Sander van Loon svloon at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 1 15:55:54 UTC 2005

Thanks a lot that you could prepare KDE 3.4.1 binaries for Kubuntu 5.04 so
fast, I appreciate it.

However there have been some problems for me.

After I added the APT repo to my sources.list and opened Kynaptic and
refreshed repo info, I got this error message:

Couldn't stat source package list http://kubuntu.org hoary-updates/main
Packages
(/var/lib/apt/lists/kubuntu.org_hoary-kde341_dists_hoary-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages)
- stat (2 No such file or directory)

Fortunately this error message disappeared after trying again for a few times.
I could then see the packages I could update to 3.4.1. I marked all the KDE
packages which could be updated to 3.4.1 for upgrading, and I let Kynaptic do
it's work. Because the downloading would take some time I went doing
something else. After I returned I saw that not all the KDE packages were
upgraded, only some of them (I am running KDE 3.4.1. now according to the
"about KDE" window though, so that went fine). When I tried to mark one of
the non-upgraded packages, for example kmail (but it happens with others as
well), for upgrade again, Kynaptic wanted to remove kde-core, kde-devel (both
version 5:42unbuntu1) and kdelibs (which did update properly and is version
3.4.1).

I read Roel Schouten's message, he says that kdm had to be removed before he
could update. But if my Kynaptic removes kde-core and kdelibs in order to
upgrade, wouldn't this be problematic? I mean, without kde-core KDE can't
start, right?

So how can I safely upgrade?

Greetings,
Sander