KDM or GDM

Martin J Hooper martinjh at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 3 19:53:59 UTC 2005

Ed Cogburn wrote:
  No, that doesn't change the problem that the kdm package is dependent
on the
> kubuntu-default-settings package.  Ben is right I believe in that none of
> the main KDE packages should be depending on any kubuntu meta-packages,
> because people (like-me) should be allowed to have a subset of KDE
> installed without needing to install everything that kubuntu requires, or
> for that matter even everything that the kde meta package installs.  I
> don't use a display manager at all so this issue never affected me.

Its not Ben asking the question its me ;)  Yes I'm like you in that I
wouldn't want the default settings as I prefer to have the vanilla KDE
settings rather than KUbuntu's...

>>>More to the point why is KDM depending on Kubuntu's default settings?

> Ben, I would bring this question up on the ubuntu.user.kubuntu list, as this
> dependency is most likely an accident.  And if no one responds, file a bug
> against the kdm package.

I thought thats what this list was..?  Its just I use news.gmane.org to
post and read as it is easier for me than having all the email sent at
once!  I thought it might be a bug...  Where is the bug database so I
can report it?