KDE & GDE won't cooperate

Dave dsterken at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 15:38:53 UTC 2005

Your solution worked great Martin, thank you for your time. My only wish was
that it was a smoother transition.

First I un-commented all the repositories in /ect/apt/sources.list as you
suggested, then I ran sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop. Everything went off without a hitch thus far. Once the
process finished it was apparent that KDE broke more than half of my Gnome
applications. I ran sudo apt-get update again but it timed out at 99% on the
last update ("can't stat source" error message). I decided to try it in
Synaptic and found the same problem. Out of frustration I tried the update
in Adept and it was successful (I have no idea why though). Unfortunately it
appears that apt-get, Synaptic and Adept are competing with one another at
first. After the update completed I went back into Synaptic and
uninstalled Adept.
I used the "fix broken packages" option and found it fixed most of my
problems. Now that I have manually uninstalled the packages I don't want and
re-installed the ones I do, everything is hunky dory again in the land of
the Penguin.

I'm not sure if the problems I encountered were common or if they were
unique to me but I thought I would document the process I went through
(above) in hopes that it will help anyone else experiencing similar
problems.

On 12/27/05, Martin J Hooper <martinjh at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > I'll be the first to admit that I am a bit green when it comes to Linux
> > in general, but I'm learning. I have tried a handful of different
> > distros and several window managers including Gnome, KDE & Xfce. I
> > continue to come back to KDE though, as my preferred desktop but I have
> > fallen in love with some of the programs available in Gnome I frankly,
> > can't live without them.
>
> Sounds like you need to enable the multiverse and universe repositories
> in /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> When you have done that do the following to read the details of those
> repos..
>
> sudo apt-get update
>
> Then Adept should see all the extra software.
>
> See this wikipage if you get stuck.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AddingRepositoriesHowto?highlight=%28repo%29

Dave Sterken