Installed Kubuntu-5.10 on VMware, questions/problems

Steve Turnbull steve.turnbull at yhgfl.net
Tue Dec 6 09:08:55 UTC 2005

On Monday 05 December 2005 23:58, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a long time Redhat/Fedora user who loves KDE, so I decided to try
> Kubuntu.  I installed it on VMware and everything went fine, but now I have
> a few questions and problems.
>
> 1)  What repositories should I be using?  Are the default ones supplied by
> the installer ok?  I'm a yum user, apt is new to me, what config files
> should I be looking at?
Default ones should be fine, but you may want to un-comment the 'universe and
multiverse' entries. These are found in /etc/apt/sources.list

Once you have edited it (there are useful comments in the file), run;
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade (or possibly apt-get dist-upgrade)

see http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html for more info on
APT, the Debian (Kubuntu et al) package manager.

> 2)  I installed Firefox using the command 'apt-get install firefox', but it
> looked like it installed an Ubuntu specific build because the default
> homepage refers to /usr/share/ubuntu/something.
I noticed this - I think it's just a minor bug, it's just trying to make a
local (non-existant) html file your home page. Just go to preferences and set
google or something as your home page.

> 3)  This is my major problem.  All the fonts are tiny!  My xorg.conf file
> uses 1920x1200, but in KDE I clicked 'Configure Desktop', 'Display' tab,
> and changed my resolution to 1024x768 so it would better fit in my VMware
> window.  That shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?  I tried
> increasing my font sizes, but I feel that this is a cheap hack workaround.
> Also, it doesn't completely fix the problem because there are still some
> fonts that are too small to read (for example, in System Settings -> System
> Services).
Not quite sure what your getting at here? Are you running VMware within Linux
to run Kubuntu? If your native resilution for your monitor is 1929x1200 then
the fonts will be pretty small depending on the physical size of your
monitor...

> 4)  This is my other main problem.  The font chooser widget isn't giving me
> the fonts I like.  I really dislike the font choices for fixed width fonts,
> and I use Konsole a lot.
Cosmetic - I a;ter the fonts here to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono/Regular/13 as it
looks as I like it on my laptop. If you still have problems, try installing
xfonts-konsole;
sudo apt-get install xfonts-konsole

> Thanks for the help!
Hope I did...

Steve

--
Steve Turnbull

Digital Content Developer
YHGfL Foundation

The YHGfL Foundation Disclaimer can be found at:
http://www.yhgfl.net/foundation-services/yhgfl-email-disclaimer/