Big Problem with Apt-Get

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 28 17:45:48 UTC 2005

On Thursday 28 April 2005 14:24, Abdullah Ramazanoglu wrote:
> Derek Broughton dedi ki:
> >
> > Are you suggesting breezy is an external repository?  It isn't...
>
> I was refering to anything not pure Hoary.

I expect most of us use something that's not "pure" hoary :-)

Really, until the Breezy release, it is going to have hiccups (to be honest,
probably after that, too, but hopefully not too many), but it should be
reasonably reliable for a personal system.  Not something I'd want to run the
corporate servers on, though :-)

> > In any case, he's _not_ getting what he asked for.  He asked for
> > kdelibs-dev and got a broken package.  "Missing final newline" doesn't
> > suggest that there's an odd, and unworkable, mix of repositories.  It
> > says the package wasn't built right.
>
> I'd agree with that. Apparently in a hurry to push my general opinions, I
> overlooked his particular facts. :)

Of course, _that's_ never happened on a mailing list before :-)

> Well, this particular problem may have
> nothing to do with repo mixing, but the potential for future problems is
> still there (presuming that he mixed repos).

"Mixing" is a problem, but if you move from hoary to breezy, that shouldn't
be.
--
derek