adding new wm to kdm

Rafa rafaor at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 17:14:51 UTC 2005

On 4/18/05, Avinash Sridhar <avinash.sridhar at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi ,
> I was wondering how to add a new window manager to show up at my login
> screen. I know that kdm is the login manager but there is no option in
> kcontrol to change the session. Also i need to apply this manually as
> i built the wm from source. I have tried to add the name of the
> wm.desktop in the /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions directory and make the
> necessary changes to the file to reflect the new wm . But no matter
> what i try i still am not able to get the option to show up at login.
> Im sure im missing something silly . Any help will be greatly
> appreciated .

Take a look at /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions.  You need to add an entry
in that dir for your new wm.  I'm not quite sure of the syntax for
these files but the existing ones might give you a few hints.

Also, http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en has
instruction on adding XFCE to kdm and gdm.  It might help you with
your wm.

Regards