a total newbie to all this......

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Fri Apr 22 16:26:50 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 April 2005 18:04, ian mooney wrote:
> the terminal scares the hell out of me but i need to install java
> runtime. ive managed to download it to desktop but not got a clue
> what to do with it next. itsabin file if that means anything. dont
> laugh at my
> ineptitude.......please help!

Ok, here's guide that should help you to do this:

- press alt + F2, type in "sudo kate", enter your password
- open /etc/apt/sources.list, remove the # in front of the universe and
multiverse entries, save, quit kate
- press alt + F2, type kynaptic, enter your password, a graphical
packagemanagement tool should start up
- Choose edit -> find
- search for "j2re", check "sun-jre1.5" to install, close the dialogue
- press the most right button to commit changes to the system, wait a
little

That should get you SUN's Java runtime installed. Downloading it via
browser and installing it by hand is probably not going to work easily
without using the commandline, but using packagemanagement for this
kind of operations is the preferred way anyway.

Don't be scared, also terminals can be your friend :-)

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
It is your concern when your neighbor's wall is on fire. - Quintus