kdesu and sudo

Derek Broughton auspex at pointerstop.ca
Thu Apr 21 16:32:51 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 15:00, Fabien Meghazi wrote:
> > That's crap, and you know it.  Give people access to a root account, and
> > they inevitably use it when they shouldn't. When I run a script out of my
> > user account, it cannot do anything harmful, either.  Unless I prefix it
> > with "sudo" - and how, in effect, is that the slightest bit different
> > than the old option of typing "su".
>
> As I'm at work, I don't have a linux box right here in order to give a
> try, but ...
> what happens if the script contains a command prefixed with sudo ?
> I guess that it will be executed with super user privileges and I think
> this is what Hannes point out. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

It'll prompt you for your password. If you've recently given sudo your
password, you're right, it'll be silent.   I still say you're far more likely
to have a problem if you use a root account.  I've lost count of the number
of times I've seen a user use "su", go to root, and forget...  Of course,
it's never happened to me ;-)
--
derek