Firestarter will not work

Mike S mcs2232 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 22:31:46 UTC 2005

> I'm (almost) new to Linux and tried the Kubuntu
>preview
>version. I wanted a firewall and got a couple of
>suggestions here. I installed Firestarter because it
>used a
>GUI but I could not get it to work. So I decided to
>wait
>until I had the 5.04 Kubuntu.

>Now I have that, and installed Firestarter but it
>still
>doesn't work. I'm using a standard PC connected via a

>router and broadband to the internet and through the
>router
>to a Windows PC. Kubuntu can see the internet and the
>other
>PC. When I try to start Firestater from Konsole I get
>the
>wizard and a lot of lines in Konsole. On the internet
>page
>of the wizard it offers me eth0 or ipv6, so i choose
>eth0
>which sounds at least familiar. On the next page -
>network
>- it offers the same. If I choose eth0 it tells me to
>go
>away - I can't have the same for internet and
network. >If I
>choose ipv6 it does not work - the firewall cannot
set >up
>(and after googling I think ipv6 is irrelevant to
me).

>Meanwhile....the lines have scrolled in Konsole - see

>excerpts below this message. I've no idea what is
>wrong.
>Can anyone help?
>hanks,
>>Peter

>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/inbound/allow-from: No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/inbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file /etc/firestarter/inbound/forward:
>No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file /etc/firestarter/outbound/deny-to:
>No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/deny-from: No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/deny-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-to: >No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-from: No
>such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Error reading file
>/etc/firestarter/outbound/allow-service:
>No such file or directory
>Warning: External interface previously configured not
>found
>Warning: Internal interface previously configured not
>found
>Error reading /proc/net/ip_conntrack: No such file or

>directory
>Error reading /proc/net/ip_conntrack: No such file or

>directory
>Error reading /proc/net/ip_conntrack: No such file or

>directory
>............and this line repeated many times.

Hi - the Firestarter setup wizard is mentioned here -
might be of some use with terminology etc?

http://www.fs-security.com/docs/tutorial.php

FWIW, my Firestarter installation went ok on both
Ubuntu & Kubuntu - single NIC, device name eth0, no
sharing etc etc (and those scrolling messages when
configuring for the first time).

--Mike S