mozilla qt

ar018 at yahoo.com ar018 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 00:29:43 UTC 2005

Raphael Bauduin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've installed the firefox and thunderbird packages, which are based
> on GTK and Gnomified. It works find, but brought a lot of
> dependencies. Do you know if the Mozilla Qt that was developed during
> last Akademy is still alive, and if it is planned to be used in
> Kubuntu?

Hi,

Unfortunately some Ubuntu packages are needlessly Gnomified in a hardcoded
way. It would be very nice if Ubuntu packages could become more modular
and desktop agnostic.

That said, I don't believe in touching the look and feel of certain well
established apps such as Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice among the big
three (Linux, Windows, Mac). These apps are (1) primary bridges from
Windows to Linux providing the same look and feel across multiple
platforms, (2) important enablers for companies in mixing different
platforms (continuously or while migrating).

Consistent look and feel across various platforms are one of the main
appeals of these apps. Spoiling this would only harm Kubuntu, I'm afraid.
So I would rather both Ubuntu and Kubuntu wouldn't touch their look&feel.

Best regards