KDM freezes after install

Nico Dietrich nicodietrich at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 23:31:10 UTC 2005

Hi Walt, 2 different ideas:

1. Did you try the nvidia open source driver nv by entering
        Driver          "nv"
in the "Device" section" von /etc/X11/xorg.conf ?

2. What recently happened to me is that I accidently entered the
recovery mode in kdm "session type - recovery (or similar)" instead of
"kde". Like that you get a shell prompt and not a login prompt (and X
is started - you have a mouse). If that's the case, exit this prompt
by typing CTRL-D in the command "window" and you should get back to
the kdm menu where you can select "kde" as session type.

Just my 2 ideas. (probably it's something different...)

nico

On Apr 9, 2005 12:37 AM, walt <racerpup2 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I just downloaded and installed Kubuntu final and the install went
> smoothly. When it rebooted and started KDM, all I got was a prompt in
> the top left corner of the screen. I had tried last weeks pre-final and
> had no problems. I have a Nvidia graphics card. I rebooted into recovery
> mode and installed nvidia-glx and that still did not help. Anyone with
> suggestions?
>
> Walt

Nicolas Dietrich
http://omnibus.uni-freiburg.de/~dietricn/