Papercuts

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 09:11:10 UTC 2018

Hi Pranav, welcome to the discussion.

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Pranav Sharma <pranav.sharma.ama at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I noticed the posts about the papercuts currently in Kubuntu, and
> while I don't know if this is the appropriate place for me to share, I
> would like to add.
>
> 1) KTorrent doesn't handle magnet links by default.

Have you filed or is there a bug filed about this in bugs.kde.org? I don't
believe that this is a setting we can change in our packaging, although I
could be wrong.

2) Add redshift applet (https://github.com/KDE/plasma-redshift-control) and
> redshift to the default install, but not enabled, for those still on Xorg.

I use the redshift applet but am looking forward to getting rid of it when
nightlight arrives and my nvidia card works with Wayland. That said, is
that github project planning to become part of KDE? What makes you say that
this should be part of the default install? We normally only ship KDE
software.

3) add the virtual keyboard to sddm as well, currently it is only in
> kscreenlocker

Hmmmm. Do you know if this is possible? It would certainly help
accessibility and those who want to run Kubuntu on a tablet or convertable
laptop.

4) launching audio volume settings from the applet results in rendering
> errors and thus useless.
> This should probably be fixed.

It works well for me. Again, have you filed a bug report about this? Some
of us are KDE devels along with working on Kubuntu, but in general, Kubuntu
devels can fix packaging, not bugs upstream.

5) update the plymouth animation to match the updated Kubuntu logo on the
> website, the current one
> looks old and out of place

Can you provide a screenshot or something? Not quite sure to what you refer.

6) Rexamine default applications & their desktop entries. xterm was dropped
> by Ubuntu (https://community.ubuntu.com/t/clean-up-and-improve-ubuntu-
> gnome-overview/2644/8), so I don't feel like they need to be included in
> Kubuntu. Kmail and KAddressBook both make many specialized desktop entries,
> and thus add cruft to finding / searching your installed applications.

Xterm is not in the
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/bionic-desktop-amd64.manifest
file that I can see? We are discussing dropping Kmail for all but the LTS
releases, but this has not yet been decided.

We would welcome your help in accomplishing some of your goals. Please drop
by our IRC devel channel  #kubuntu-devel or use Matrix to access it; and
one of us can invite to the the bridged Telegram channel if you prefer.

Valorie