Drop PIM from the iso (default install)

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 07:10:47 UTC 2017

Since Clay was the only one to speak for KDE PIM....

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Clay Weber <clay at claydoh.com> wrote:
> I'll vote in favor of KDEPIM
>
> Some Devil's advocate points that do not necessarily indicate my opinions on
> this topicg
>
> 1) An increase in resource usage, sure. But "hog" is open to interpretation.
> Just how much time are we saving during login? Is this still a thing? Don't
> we all just close our laptop lids and move on, and seldom reboot our PCs?

That is true for me, certainly.

> 2) How are we determining this?
>
> 3) and 4) how much is saved, and is this overhead really an issue?
>
> 5) Kubuntu is not Neon. Neon showcases Plasma Desktop. Kubuntu is a well
> rounded easy to use distro that has extra software from the base Plasma
> provides.
> Note that "easy to use" is not the same thing as "newbie distro".

I agree that we shouldn't compare ourselves to neon, since they have a
different purpose and target market. We want to be tested, stable and
efficient for *our* user base, which seems remarkably faithful.

But do most of those users still use Kmail? My sense is that they don't.

> 6) We could use  this reasoning  to remove a music player, irc client,
> office suite, and anything else and have nothing to differentiate us from
> KDE Neon.

Good point.

> Also, as part of the Ubuntu family, shouldn't we have similar features or at
> least similar sets of installed software? What are our brethren using?
>
> Are there alternatives? How does just Kmail and the address book do,
> resource-wise?

I think this is worth investigation. Clive?

> Lastly would this be a big slap in the face to the KDEPIM and greater KDE
> community?
>
> Just some random thoughts.

I don't know. I wonder if OpenSuSE and Fedora provide PIM by default?
What about Debian?

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez