Snapping KDE

Clive Johnston clivejo at kubuntu.org
Tue Jul 11 12:59:21 UTC 2017

"I understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to
build a Plasma
system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps."

I am not aware of any such plan.  I know KDE neon have been looking into
creating snaps and Harold Sitter proposed and worked on ways to snap all of
Frameworks, and I believe, Plasma too. My own experience with snaps hasn't
been great (I find them large and sluggish, possibly due to poor internet
speeds and low spec computer) compared to modular traditional packages,
which give me control over what is installed or not.  Having to download
sizeable blobs on a regular bases is very time consuming for me.

At the moment, the main priority for Kubuntu Devel team is to get the
latest KDE releases packaged and into the archive for our users (even this
is putting considerable pressure on the team) .  I don't think we currently
have the skills or the person-power to be able to provide snaps as well -
but this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

I think it is worth mentioning to the community and our user-base, maybe
try putting our finger on the pulse and get a feel for how many users would
like to or want to use snaps.  Having the conversation may encourage people
with the skills to create snaps to step forward and give the plan some legs
to carry it forward.

Clive