Snapping KDE

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Jul 11 14:11:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Clive Johnston <clivejo at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> "I understand that the ultimate plan for Kubuntu would be able to build a
> Plasma system on top of Ubuntu Core based on snaps."
>
> I am not aware of any such plan.  I know KDE neon have been looking into
> creating snaps and Harold Sitter proposed and worked on ways to snap all of
> Frameworks, and I believe, Plasma too. My own experience with snaps hasn't
> been great (I find them large and sluggish, possibly due to poor internet
> speeds and low spec computer) compared to modular traditional packages,
> which give me control over what is installed or not.  Having to download
> sizeable blobs on a regular bases is very time consuming for me.

That's not the case if you use the Content Sharing interface which
Harald created and bundles Qt and most KDE Frameworks. With it
applications become tiny in comparison.

> At the moment, the main priority for Kubuntu Devel team is to get the latest
> KDE releases packaged and into the archive for our users (even this is
> putting considerable pressure on the team) .  I don't think we currently
> have the skills or the person-power to be able to provide snaps as well -
> but this is just my personal opinion on the matter.

Which is an impossible task to do because of the different release
schedules. But if Kubuntu releases KDE software under snaps we can
have a fresh experience out of the box, especially if we can make good
use of the channels.
With the advantage that when developers fix something, Kubuntu can
actually offer it to users no matter what.

FWIW, Harald put together this Plasma snap, maybe someone would be
interested in looking into its viability?
https://github.com/apachelogger/plasma-snap

Aleix