Hi, I'm new here (and also Canonical's new point of contact on the KDE advisory board)

Gerry Boland gerry.boland at canonical.com
Mon Jul 10 20:25:22 UTC 2017

Hey Clive
thanks for the welcome!

On 10/07/17 19:52, Clive Johnston wrote:
> To be honest we could do with a helping hand getting new packages into
> the archive as this is the main "thorn" in our side at this moment in
> time.  Would you mind giving us a shout in #kubuntu-devel when you are
> free to talk?

Yep, I've been told already that getting new packages into the archive
is a sore-point. I'm not a MOTU/core-dev unfortunately, but I know
several to bother.

Is there any existing workflow for you to get packages promoted? Is it
currently a case of poke-this-person-and-wait-and-pray?

> You mentioned you are using KDE on your desktop, is that Kubuntu, KDE
> neon or another distro?

I'm firmly Ubuntu (Zesty still, need to jump onto Artful) - I've
installed kubuntu-desktop and tweaked the hell out of Plasma. It is a
bit Unity-ish! :)

> BTW Where are you in Ireland?  I'm up north in County Fermanagh.  Would
> also like to see the Irish LoCo run a few more events, as it hasn't seen
> much love recently - http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-ie/ is that
> something you would be interested in?

I'm based in Dublin ATM. Yeah the Irish LoCo has kinda faded, which is a
pity. I do think Meetups have replaced them, as they're far more
specific - I was a member of the Python Ireland committee, and helped
organise a few events for them. It is a very successful community today.
But I had to leave within a year due to lack of spare time to contribute.

So for the Irish Loco, I'd love to see it rise again. Or even a meetup
group of people passionate about the open source desktop. I'm just
unable to commit to anything right now. Apologies

Thanks
-G