kubuntu-devel Digest, Vol 145, Issue 6

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Fri Jan 13 19:19:20 UTC 2017

Paul Loughman schreef op 13-01-2017 18:32:
> I have no problem with restricting who can make commits. It’s a no
> brainer. Why would anyone who isn’t either a packager (with
> demonstrated experience) or a developer (with peer reviewed
> acceptance) be allowed to commit?

Because it reduces the barrier to entry.

Suppose you needed a key to enter the house, but to get the key you
would need to enter the house first? Chicken and the egg problem, or
what they call catch-22.

If you wanted to start out with small commits, that might not be enough
of an impetus to become a "recognized" developer or packager, so you
would never make those small commits.

Now without those small commits, how would you ever find the balls, or
learn the ropes, sufficiently to know that you want to pass that exam
for becoming a recognised person here?

The barrier to entry is too high if you have to make a huge jump, people
usually advance in small steps, but this is not possible here.

That's all.