Handing over considerately

Walter Lapchynski wxl at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 14 23:01:30 UTC 2016

In general, [PPA][1]s should be assumed to be a thing you use at your own
risk. [This page][2] offers good advice on how to determine which PPAs to
use and which not to be. Suffice it to say, the take home message is that
the degree of reliability you expect in the main repos is not something
that should be applied to a PPA, even if, like the Kubuntu PPAs, it is
official to some degree. Consider the [Thunderbird daily builds][3]
provided by the Ubuntu Mozilla Team, for example. The last time they
successfully built was over a year ago!!!!

What I would advise you to do, personally, is leave your PPAs there. Simply
change the description to note that the PPA is abandoned and unsupported.
If you're really good, you'll add a new version to each of the packages
that includes an install script that leaves a message that it is
unsupported :) Anyways, at least this way people won't have their
repositories breaking and complaining. Eventually other repositories they
have will supercede the versions in the PPA and it will ultimately become
unused.

In any case, you didn't do anything wrong. People add PPAs far too easily
without understanding that they are unsupported and far too many
publications recommend them with no warnings.

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PPA
[2]: http://askubuntu.com/a/35636
[3]:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+builds?build_text=thunderbird&build_state=all

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Clive Johnston <clivejo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I get a lot of email from users, most are polite but some irate, regarding
> the
> Kubuntu project.  Just so I know I'm doing the right thing, I am advising
> all
> questions and queries regarding Plasma 5.8.* to contact the kubuntu-
> devel at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> I also have an issue regarding a number of internet publications who have
> instructed their readers to use software from my personal package archives
> (PPA's).  I have since removed my PPA's but still get angry emails
> regarding
> broken and/or missing packages.  To date I have been referring them back to
> the people who have written the articles for help and support.
>
> Is this the right thing for me to do?
>
> Clive

       @wxl | polka.bike
C563 CAC5 8BE1 2F22 A49D