16.04 Beta2 Testing feedback

Rick Timmis rick.timmis at abazander.com
Sat Mar 26 15:54:37 UTC 2016

Kubuntu 16-04 Beta2 amd64 testing notes
---------------------------------------

Platform: Samsung R710 Intel centrino 3Gb RAM, SSD Drives, NVidia
Graphics

Summary
-------

Good solid start, with many of the features working, which includes
resolution to some problems I had been having on 15.10. I did manage
to find some elements that I believe require attention.

Testing Notes
-------------

1 - Live ISO burnt to USB, and booted fine, but the Kubuntu Installer icon
on the desktop was very small, and you could not see what it was, nor
read what it said. I was also unable to resize this. There for there was no
way of knowing what the was for, which would be a bad experience for
new users wanting to install Kubuntu.

2 - At the end of the installation, the reboot dropped me to a black screen
with a mouse arrow, and just sat there forever. In the end I had to resort
to power cycling the machine.

Some application problems

Kicker > Applications > Graphics > Display and edit image files (Image
Magick) - There is no icon, and it does not launch. My advice would be to
remove this, as we have Gwenview sitting 2 entries below.

Instant Messenger Contacts ( KDE-Telepathy )

Kicker > Applications > Internet > Instant Messenger Contacts : I tried to
connect an account, which offered me Telegram as an option, but it does
not work, looks like a missing dependency

"This IM Account cannot be created - a Telepathy Connection Manager
named 'morse' is missing or it cannot handle protocol 'telegram'. Please
try installing morse with your package manager."

Also Video and Audio calling buttons are Greyed out - I read an article in
Linux User and Developer about this, which suggests the problem is due
to :-
"Further, most users will have their Video call buttons greyed out, simply
because either the telepathy-kde-call-ui or the Farstream Gstreamer
codec, or its QT bindings, will be missing."

We really should fix this :-D

Kicker > Applications > Internet > KDE Instant messenger log viewer : I
am a bit confused as to why we want this included in the base install

Kicker > Applications > Internet > PIM Settings exporter has no icon set

Kicker > Applications > Internet > SSH AskPass has no icon and does not
launch, this should probably be left as a command line tool, and removed
from this menu

Kicker > Applications > Internet > Web Browser ( Firefox ) - I suggest this
be placed at the top of the menu list, or if you want to maintain
alphabetical consistency, then name it Firefox ( Web Browser ) and place
it below Feed Reader

Kontact
-------

Attempting to click on the Feeds icon in Kontact, results in a Crash of
Akregator. When you then attempt to report the bug, you get the
following.

"The problem cannot be reported:

You have some obsolete package versions installed. Please upgrade the
following packages and check if the problem still occurs:

gstreamer1.0-plugins-base, libboost-system1.58.0, libboost-thread1.58.0,
libcups2, libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0, libgstreamer1.0-0, libpcre16-3,
libpcre3, libxerces-c3.1, ucf"

Which appears to be an issue with Apport

Activities
----------

I setup a new Activity called Test, with a keyboard shortcut Ctl+Alt+1. The
shortcuts do not work. I tried also setting a short cut for the default
activity to Ctl+Alt+d but that did not work either. I think Activity keyboard
shortcuts have been broken for a while

Plasmoids
---------

I tried loading the CPU Monitor, and Network monitor, they appear on
the desktop, but there are no configuration handles, resizing handles,
and no graphics.
I tried the digital which did show the time, and clicking would display
calendar, but the same problem exists with configuration and resizing.

Hope this is useful
Rick Timmis