Kubuntu Council -- how can we help?

Ovidiu-Florin BOGDAN ovidiu.b13 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 20:48:16 UTC 2015

În ziua de Sunday 27 December 2015, la 22:46:59, Valorie Zimmerman a scris:
> Hello folks, I know it's the holidays. Still, we need some forward
> movement. It seem that it is the duty of your Council to help out.
>
> Recently I've noticed rather often in #kubuntu people asking why the
> only news on the website is Jon leaving. I've explained that he's not
> leaving, merely stepping back from his positiuon as release manager,
> but the questions continue. Clivejo recently point this out in
> #kubuntu-devel, and said: "I do think the KCC need to take the lead :P
> "
>
> Continuing, "if someone shows an interest, net them quickly and get
> them communicating with the people who can help develop the skills
> <clivejo> people look at the website and see no activity since Jon
> "stood" down.  New people just see that as a community falling apart
> :( "
>
> I agree, and we all need to take the lead. As I see it, our first
> priority is to get those packaging docs in order. When new people
> volunteer, we need something to point them to, when there is no
> developer around to take their hand directly. And whenever they have
> time, they can use the docs for review, or learn about a different
> task, or even improve on what we have. I believe that a group is
> coalescing to begin this work. How can the KC help?
>
> Caydoh asked, "Is there a way to post an article announcement for the
> last plasma release we had, or announcing kubuntu podcast epsisodes?
> Surely there is some things we can post on the site to show something
> is going on without having to explain and/or apologize for delays."
>
> I agree. We need to get some news on the site weekly, at least. Even
> just a few sentences pointing to a Dot story. Who does this now, and
> how can the KC help?
>
> Caydoh also asks "With the very short turnarounds in plasma version
> releases, let alone Frameworks and Applications, how should we manage
> those?"
>
> I would love to see us start off the new year in a positive way. What
> are some steps we can take to begin?
>
> Valorie

I just went through the documentation we have for packaging: https://community.kde.org/Kubuntu#Packaging[1] and I'm sad to say that (I think) we don't have packaging documentation. We can barely call that an outline. Barely!
If there's some docs elsewhere, please let me know, so we may try to merge them.

I've talked with Philip, Clive, and Aaron to have a sprint in 28-30 Dec. 2015 and clean this up.
So far we've made this: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SoO83PepBkU_kkbLL2eIeVDYYDzv6OEA1npVoCp7wHo[2]
It's just a crude overview of how things interact with each other. Please provide feedback.

From here we plan to make other diagrams and texts that explain each section in more detail. But...

The biggest problem is... time and resources. I mean, it's the holidays, and (from what I can understand) only Philip and Scarlett know what's actually going on here. Me and Clive are desperatly trying to understand how things are going and work on something but we need help.

This situation is getting very frustating to all of us. I recommend that we have a meeting as soon as possible with the KC and some devs/packagers and talk about how we can sort this out best.
I'd love to do this before the new year's eve, so we may progress with work, so we have some good/great news on the podcast in the 6th of January.

*Ovidiu-Florin Bogdan*
GeekAliens.com[3]
Kubuntu Romania Representative[4]
_Kubuntu Council Member_