CI for stable apps

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 23:06:21 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM, Valorie Zimmerman
> <valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
>>> I had the sudden urge to do something wildly crazy so we are now doing
>>> stable integration of Applications/15.04 (the kf5 based ones anyway).
>>>
>>> It raises the total job count of KCI to 822 :O
>>>
>>> Also, I have the very uneasy feeling that this is going to blow up
>>> over the weekend, just so you know.
>>>
>>> HS
>>
>> Catching up on old mail. I have a question: how much of the software
>> that we package (our own plus KDE) is now covered by CI?
>>
>> As in, a percentage, or 822 packages out of ___________?
>
> Impossible to say precisely. The 822 jobs are all the utopic/vivid
> unstable/stable combinations we have. They are based on 190 distinct
> sources. Between the three upstream release bundles we have frameworks
> (67) plasma (40) apps (177). Out of those we integrate all frameworks,
> plasmas as well as 83 apps sources. So we are still missing about 100
> apps that have not yet been ported to kf5.
> Or in concrete terms out of the current upstream release bundles we
> are integrating 190 out of 284 sources (66%).
>
> A pretty inaccurate query for stuff depending on kde4libs suggests 554
> *binary packages* that still depend on it. This number is including
> recently ported apps (~40), so we can probably go with <=500 binary
> packages that depend on kde4libs of which the majority seem to be
> kdepim+extragear+calligra+brokenplasmoids, the rest is random stuff
> from kde-apps or elsewhere.
> Excluding the broken plasmoids we are probably at around 450 binary
> packages that aren't ported to kf5. That number probably best be cut
> in half to account for the inaccurate query and the fact that a lot of
> sources create >=2 binary packages. So let's go with a ballpark number
> of 225 (this is again including apps from before), so without those we
> are at about 131 sources that we have in the archive but are not part
> of one of the three upstream release bundles.
>
> Grand total would be approximately 190 out of 415 (284+131) sources =
> 44% integrated = 225 missing.
>
>> Also, did it blow?
>
> It did not. On a related note, since the switch from lxc to docker the
> rate of blowing up for load reasons has decreased by 100% (the server
> still suffers from heavy breathing because of all the tarball
> compression though ;))
>
> HS

Harald,

Is it our plan to eventually cover all the packages with CI? Is that
even possible with the resources -- both human and machine -- that we
have? And is it important.

The work you have done so far IS important, in my opinion. Thank you a
thousand times. It has cost pain and suffering along with time and
cycles though. So I guess I'm asking for you to look into your crystal
ball.

Valorie