Upgrading from 14.04 to 14.10 Plasma 5 difficulties

Valorie Zimmerman valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 10:32:05 UTC 2014

Hello, I helped a user through the painful process of upgrading in
#kubuntu last night. He encountered the same issues I did:

1. wireless stopped working

2. blank or unresponsive screen

I held his hand while he repeated the suggested steps to upgrading in
the console one more time, plus had him remove lightdm. I asked him to
look in his bash history to check that he indeed *had* done all the
steps correctly the first time, but never got a reply to that
question. So perhaps he made a typo at some point, or did things out
of order.

That said, why is wireless still getting stopped in the /next ppa? And
why is lightdm still not being removed when SDDM is chosen?

We have people who held off a few weeks for things to settle down,
which is prudent. But IMO things have NOT improved, and we owe them
better. It makes it difficult for people to test Plasma 5 if they
can't successfully install it with the tools we give them.

Note: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu says:

Install from Kubuntu 14.10 with Plasma 4

If you are running Kubuntu 14.10 with Plasma 4 you can install Plasma
5 packages with these commands. This will replace your Plasma 4
desktop and much of the software. No upgrade will be supported and you
may have to reinstall to revert back to Plasma 4.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/next
sudo apt update
sudo apt install kubuntu-plasma5-desktop  [it will ask if you want to
set use the new SDDM as login manager]
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot [save any work first]

He correctly did these steps, but only after getting his wireless to
work with a cli application, and after `apt remove lightdm`

Valorie

--
http://about.me/valoriez