muon discover featured apps for 14.04

James Cain james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 12:42:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 3:02 AM, Harald Sitter <apachelogger at ubuntu.com>wrote:

> Please note that there is no limit, we just happen to have 3
> applications features right now. If we want to, we could turn every
> application into a featured application ;)

I think 5 (If we could agree on 5...) sounds like a good # to me.

If I were designing the UI (and of course I am not I am merely offering my
2 cents...) I would have 5 "featured apps" (IDK why 5 seems like a good
number other than 3 seems too small and >5 seems too large) and I would
take one popular choice from each major category.
For example:

Internet / Web - Might include Chromium, blogilo, or choqok
Office - Might include Callirga, KThesaurus, or my favorite, KMyMoney
Games - Might include KDEGames metapackage, 0A.D., or Supertuxcart
Multimedia - Might include VLC, Tomahawk, KDEnlive, or Plasma Media Center
(the latter being my preference! :)
Home / Edu / Misc - Might include KRecipies, KDE Edu (metapackage), or
Marble

...etc etc. there are lots of good choices. In other words, I see the
"Featured Application" as more of a way to showcase lesser-known but
equally awesome KDE apps. Think of it as like an 'Editor's Choice' category
:)
And since in MD we already have ratings by popularity *and* ratings, this
would seem like a good opportunity to showcase the vast array of quality
software out there that a new user (and in the case of many potentially
worthy applications even a developer) might not be aware of or has
forgotten about. And, as mentioned earlier, I do not think we should
highlight already installed applications. Thanks for reading :D

- James C