Fwd [ubuntu-release] Please promote 64-bit images by default on the download pages

Ingo Ratsdorf ingo at envirology.co.nz
Wed Sep 4 20:15:26 UTC 2013

While all new computers will be 64bit, a multitude of older hardware is
32bit ONLY.
For example ALL of my servers and laptops are. My main laptop is an
Apple Macbook from 2006....
Beauty of linux is that it still runs reasonably fast on older hardware
while you always need latest hardware for OSX and reasonably new
hardware for Windows.

Please keep that in mind.
While it's okay to promote 64bit, keep 32bit in parallel.

"uname -a" is great, but that needs a system installed already... ;-) So
you will need some sort of blurb on the download page for the novices to
make an educated decision of which to download.
Ie: "If your system is pre 2010, it is likely that you will need 32bit
install". This will give you a working system in any case. Rather than
resulting in a frustrated novice having been enthusiastic starting with
linux and then ending up with a non-functional 64bit system.

Cheers,
Ingo