Browser selection from Ubiquity

James Cain james.cain.25 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:51:43 UTC 2013

I'm all for Firefox being the default browser; however if we did that we
would also have to be prepared for the fact that integration is lacking
within Firefox for KDE by default. Which opens up a whole other set of
issues. My guess is that perhaps Lubuntu's reasoning for shipping Chromium
is two-fold: Better integration into the OS by default, and the fact that
Chrome / Chromium is now more popular in Linux than Firefox is by the
latest metrics that I have seen.

If we could also include Blue Systems' Firefox-KDE integration packages (or
a clone of the packages in ppa: kubuntu/ppa where firefox-kde would be the
Kubuntu Firefox package and would have a dep for the KDE integration
package) that would be ideal.

BTW how does this work for Apple? I'm not familiar with how they do things.
Is Safari the default? I'm just curious for comparison's sake.

- James

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Rohan Garg <rohangarg at kubuntu.org> wrote:

> > In this case, you still get rekonq if there's no network during install.
> >

> Yep, the same way you get a Kubuntu without multimedia codecs without a
> network.
>
> > I don't see any significant advantage for doing it during the install
> versus
> > making it easy to do post-install.  Why do you think it's better?
> >

> I'm open to suggestions on how to make it super easy for users to
> install another browser post-install. Especially since users migrating
> from Windows/OS X have no concept of 'packages' and even installing
> something like firefox can be daunting task. Personally, I'd expect
> them to go to firefox.com and download the sources instead of
> downloading the binary packages since that's what they're accustomed
> to.
>
> > Also, if we start having application selection during install, what else
> ends
> > up there?  It's a slippery slope.
>
> True. As always there are tradeoffs to be made here. But if you have a
> look around, people seem to be comfortable with dragon as their video
> player as compared to rekonq as their default browser ( just an
> example ).
>

> > Scott K
> >
> > --

James Cain