Browser selection from Ubiquity

Rohan Garg rohangarg at kubuntu.org
Thu Jan 31 14:54:45 UTC 2013

> In this case, you still get rekonq if there's no network during install.

Yep, the same way you get a Kubuntu without multimedia codecs without a network.

> I don't see any significant advantage for doing it during the install versus
> making it easy to do post-install.  Why do you think it's better?

I'm open to suggestions on how to make it super easy for users to
install another browser post-install. Especially since users migrating
from Windows/OS X have no concept of 'packages' and even installing
something like firefox can be daunting task. Personally, I'd expect
them to go to firefox.com and download the sources instead of
downloading the binary packages since that's what they're accustomed
to.

> Also, if we start having application selection during install, what else ends
> up there?  It's a slippery slope.

True. As always there are tradeoffs to be made here. But if you have a
look around, people seem to be comfortable with dragon as their video
player as compared to rekonq as their default browser ( just an
example ).