Browser selection from Ubiquity

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Jan 31 13:40:04 UTC 2013

Rohan Garg <rohangarg at kubuntu.org> wrote:

>Hi everyone
>Since the default browser seems to be a fairly hot topic in Kubuntu
>I'd like to propose the following :
>
>* Keep rekonq as the default browser
>* Add a new browser selection page in Ubiquity right after the
>"Prepare" page which allows the user to pick one of the the 3
>available choices Firefox/Chromium/Rekonq ( rekonq selected by default
>)
>
>Pro's : People don't complain (loudly) about our browser selection
>           For people trying out Kubuntu for the first time who know
>nothing about packages and how to install software, it gives them an
>easy way to choose a more feature complete browser.
>
>Con's : Adds another step in the installer
>
>While some people might argue that users might not be able to choose
>one over the other, this will not hold true for most of the users
>since we can safely assume that they have used/heard about either one
>of the browsers in the past and already have a preference.
>
>I've also heard some issues being raised about chromium not having a
>security cycle in tune with our release cycle, but it seems that
>Lubuntu ships Chromium as their default browser.
>
>I'd like to hear everyone's opinions on this.

If we're going to put Firefox on our install media we should just make it default.   It's the only browser in the archive with proper security support.  In the long run that's a really, really essential feature for browsers.

The fact that Lubuntu made a different choice should not sway us a bit.

I believe we should make opinionated choices to give our users a safe, functional, KDE experience.  For different applications,  the priority of those factors will be different. For a web browser, I think that's the correct order.

If Firefox doesn't fit, then we throw the first two out and ship rekonq.

Scott K