[kubuntu-devel] Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jan 28 21:33:15 UTC 2013

First run dialogs are intrusive and annoying.  Kubuntu has had a consistent
position on this for a long time and I don't think we should change.  OTOH, I
can see value in a widget on the desktop that says something like "New to
Kubuntu, click here" that allows users to opt-into a first run experience.

We also have the installer slideshow we can use to present more information
about what's in Kubuntu without additionally cluttering the defaults.

Also, since the switch to KDE4 (over 4 years now) we've aimed to stick close
to upstream KDE.  I've heard upstream developers say they like to use Kubuntu
to demonstrate KDE because it looks like KDE.  The "K" icon in particular is
an important part of that.  Personally, I think we should not change it.

I don't know about the translations, so no comment there.

Scott K