Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time user experience

Harald Sitter apachelogger at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 24 10:36:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM, Rohan Garg <rohan16garg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please not that we cannot ship some multimedia things like libav due
> to patent issues as a result of which apps like vlc cannot be shipped
> ( and by extension, same thing goes for chromium though I am not
> entirely sure about that, maybe someone can offer a better explanation
> of why we can't ship chromium as the default ).

just to be clear.  vlc features a plugin system, there is no hard dep on
libav, there is not even one on libasound or qt for that matter. the ubuntu
packaging is simply done in a way that all demuxing/decoding/video output
plugins are put in one package. so, while a lot of the codec support comes
from libav for a default distribution it is not required (AFAIR vlc
natively supports everything we by default care about  - vorbis, flac,
theora).

HS