[kubuntu-devel] Change the default settings of Kubuntu to improve the first time

Rick Timmis Rick.Timmis at Abazander.com
Wed Jan 23 23:16:27 UTC 2013

Hello all

My 2p

I feel that staying closer to upstream KDE has several advantages, simplicity and uniformity being the two I most favour.

The ISO image size is important and that places restrictions on what we can and can't include, as a general rule of principle I think we owe it to the upstream KDE to try to use as many of their default packages as possible, as this drives development and testing and maintains momentum in the project overall.

I do NOT agree that changing theme colours and Wallpaers throughout the Boot, Login, and Desktop experience is a good idea, and I don't believe that this make a good design principle.

KIS -> Keep it simple

I think we could utilise the Kubuntu.org website to support the user experience  more so than we do now, in particular with features such as Plasmoids, Activities, Multiple desktop, and perhaps KDE configuration.

For my part, I'm happy to keep testing this stuff, I'm still finding my feet with the project, and I've been out of the loop due to family and Xmas, but as of next week I'll be back testing, and on IRC.

I'm happy to work on some Video Tutorials on stuff for the website to help support the user experience of the distro too..

Let me know, your thoughts on the above.

Regards and Best Wishes

Rick Timmis

Sent from my Dragon 32