Browser selection from Ubiquity

Volkan Gezer volkangezer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 10:05:19 UTC 2013

En İyi Dileklerimle,
Volkan GEZER
volkangezer at gmail.com

2013/2/1 Nowardev-Team <nowardev at gmail.com>:

> 2013/2/1 Rick Timmis <rick.timmis at abazander.com>
>>
>> My take is as follows
>>
>> I believe we should look to keep things simple and unified. Kubuntu has
>> set out its stall as a default KDE experience, it should stick with that.
>>
>> encouraging more users to "Try Out" Rekonq, grows the users and testing
>> community, and provides the potential for greater feedback, and increased
>> development for the upstream project. This is true for the whole KDE
>> package set.
>

> if you go here http://www.kubuntu.org/ you will read
>
> Kubuntu, making your PC friendly
>

> and if you know what is ubuntu you should understand that ubuntu is NOT a
> distro for testing software
> it's linux made simple for end-user. you wanna support rekonq well make an
> icon that will install rekonq instead here we got the opposite.
>

>> I do not like the idea, of adding questions to the installer, in fact I
>> feel that it would be better to remove questions, ask less, assume more.
>> Whilst our technically savvy users may not appreciate this, think about
>> the
>> broader audience.
>>
>> We're are trying to persuade Sally Smith, who bought her Laptop from a
>> local retail store, all fully loaded with all sorts of software. All she
>> had to do was switch it on and give it a user name and set her password.
>>
>> That's what we're competing with, so we must try to recreate that user
>> experience in our own way.
>>
>> However, you make an excellent point about users not knowing about
>> Software Centre, but perhaps this could be better served with some
>> explanatory information that is presented as the installer takes care of
>> business
>>
>> ATB
>>
>> Rick Timmis
>

> if you do a good installer the first things will be
>
> * the partition stuff
> *software to install

I am also aggree with this.
Before there was a saying about choosing between minimal installation
or custom installation. When it is custom, can users pick their
favourite softwares before installation? For example in openSUSE they
allow everything to be chosen before installation (maybe with yast ,
but I dont know). So basics program installations can be selected. If
user selects these programs,  then these may be added to their
Favourite tab in Kickoff.